Reverse Osmosis Pilot
The water passage continues until a balance condition is reached. This is achieved when the level difference between the two solutions is equal to the osmotic pressure of the concentrated solution.
If a pressure stronger than the osmotic pressure is applied to the concentrated solution, the phenomenon is reversed the water permeates from the more concentrated to the most diluted solution across the membrane. This is the reverse osmosis wich is exploited in water desalination, where the water to be desalinated represents the most concentrated solution. The molecules and ions larger than 10-7 are retained by the membrane while the solvent molecules pass through. Less energy is required compared to other processes with a similar objective.
This pilot enables to study membrane process performances to concentrate NaCl solutions or to desalinate sea water.
Calculation of the membrane permeability and performances according to the following hydraulic and chemical parameters :
- Input circuit pressure.
- Rejection rate.
- Recycling flow of rejection.
- Concentration of NaCl.
- Spiral membrane cartridge and its polyester housing resisting to 21 bars
- Stainless steel 304 vertical centrifugal pump.
- Supply tank with PVC cover and level safety.
- Permeate receptacle with PVC cover.
- 3 PVC flowmeters.
- 2 manometers.
- 3 manometers.
- Conductivity meter with probe and digital display.
- Control cabinet including pump control and safety protection, conductivity meter transmitter, general switch.
– All the piping are in PVC, the pilot is mounted on a stainless steel frame with aluminium nuts.
- 1500 x 800 x 1900 mm
- Power supply : 220 V / single phase / 50 Hz – Consumption : 2.2 kW