Main characteristics of the pilot
- Industrial instrumentation
- Flow switch of the condenser cooling water for operators safety
- Borosilicate glass and stainless steel AISI 316L manufacturing
- Level and temperature switches to protect heating element
- Rigid process pipes
- Electrical heating
- Variable reflux column head controlled by ATEX solenoid valve
Principle of Working :
Distillation allows the separation of a mixture of compounds each having different boiling points. Boiling the mixture, introduced initially into the reboiler, makes it possible to collect the vapours of the different components of the liquid. Multiple re-condensation and re-evaporation progressively enriches the vapour phase with the most volatile product. The colum packing increases the exchange area surface and thus the mass transfer. The vapours are condensed and then divided between distillate and reflux via the column head and its globe valve. The residue is collected at the end of the operation.
The temperatures at the bottom and the head of the column are measured, and also half-way up the column, so as to determine the temperature profile.
- Study of the following experimental parameters :
- Study of column hydrodynamics.
- Influence of operating conditions on separation of a solution.
- Calculations :
- Heat balance.
- Mass balance.
- Determination of number of theoretical plates (McCABE and THIELE, PONCHON and SAVARIT).
- Determination of number of transfer units.
- Borosilicate glass boiler, electric heating, fitted with low level safety switch and high temperature safety switch.
- Coolant for pressure drop measurement.
- Borosilicate glass column in two pieces with “MULTIKNIT” type packing in AISI 316L stainless steel.
- Two AISI 316L stainless steel plates, each fitted with a sampling valve and temperature plug.
- Borosilicate glass column head, with temperature plug, fitted with a solenoid timer valve to control the reflux rate.
- Vertical condenser, borosilicate glass body, AISI 316L stainless steel exchanger, single effet with baffles.
- AISI 316L stainless steel distillate cooler.
- Two borosilicate glass distillate receivers, each fitted with a drain valve in AISI 316L stainless steel.
- Two polyethylene distillate collection tanks.
- AISI 316L stainless steel connecting tubes for the process and reinforced PVC tube for cooling fluid.
- Support framework with AISI 304L stainless steel tubes, aluminium connecting nuts and adjustable feet.
- Cooling water feed to condenser fitted with variable area flowmeter with its adjusting valve and water flow switch to turn off heating in case of lack of cooling water.
- Measurement of the column pressure drop by differential “U” type manometer.
- Command and control cabinet fitted with emergency stop, operating buttons and the following interfaces:
- Electronic timer controlling valve at the head of the column.
- Boiler heating controller.
- Two digital temperature indicators with seven Pt100 Ω type probes.
Dimensions and weight
- 1200 mm x 650 mm x 3050 mm ~ 150 kg.
- 230 V / 50 Hz / Single phase: 4 kW.
- Cold water 20°C / 3 bar: 1 m³/h.