Reversible hardened load blocks are provided so that the struts can be tested under the following conditions:
- Both ends pinned.
- Both ends fixed.
- One end pinned, one end fixed.
- The apparatus has been designed to accommodate struts of suitable lengths within the range 400/800 mm.
- The struts are rectangular in section, thus ensuring that the deflection occurs in a predetermined plane.
- The load is applied to the strut by means of a spring balance and a loading beam.
- The beam pivots on a nut which can be adjusted vertically so that the beam can be maintained in the horizontal position during loading, thus ensuring that a true axial load can be supplied throughout the test.
- A light lateral load is applied to the strut to ensure the direction of deflection, the magnitude of which can then be measured by means of a dial indicator.