The EEICI unit for impact testing with the Charpy and the Izod pendulums is mounted on an aluminum structure that provides the device great rigidity. The aluminium structure is covered by a painted steel panel.
The unit consists of the following elements:
- Pendulum: It is supported by bearings and has an length of 330 mm. On one of its ends we can mount the appropriate hammer for each test, be it Charpy or Izod.
- Initial angle: 150º.
- Charpy potential energy: 5 J, 7.5 J and 10 J.
- Izod potential energy: 8.5 J.
- Hammers: The Charpy Hammer has the shape of a “C” and it is used for impact tests on specimens that are supported on both ends. The Izod Hammer is used to impact on specimens that are fitted vertically.
- Charpy clamp: It is composed with the accessories needed for supporting the specimens, according to Standard ISO.
- Izod clamp: It is composed with the accessories needed for supporting the specimens, according to Allen keys in order to tighten the specimens into the clamps.
- A graduated disc with a pointer will mark the energy used to break the specimen.
- Specimens made in different plastic materials:
- They have a notch in order to make their breaking easier.
- They are made of PVC.
- Their dimensions are 80 mm length and its cross section is 10 mm x 4 mm.
- Support system for the pendulum at the starting point of the test.